Blog & Articles - EasyInsure

Back to School – Insurance Implications

Back to School – Insurance Implications
Seeing your child off to school can be an emotional, stressful, but rewarding time for many Canadian parents.

We’d like to remind you of a few important considerations when it comes to their unique insurance needs.

Auto Insurance

Your away student may qualify for an insurance premium discount as an “occasional driver”. This change in coverage, along with a good driving record, will help them maintain their driving history which helps to reduce their premiums in the future.

Ask us if your child qualifies for a good student discount, as some insurance companies offer savings based on good grades. If your child might borrow and drive a friend’s vehicle while away at school, be sure to speak to your insurance professional to ensure they have the coverage they need.

Tenant and Liability Insurance

Whether your child lives in student housing, in an apartment or rents a room in a private residence, there are two important factors when it comes to insurance coverage: 

  1. The things they own: Laptops, electronic devices, clothing, bicycles - these possessions add up! Tenant insurance for students covers not only the things they own, such as electronic devices, but liability insurance as well.
  2. Liability insurance: Your child’s landlord will have insurance for the building itself, but not your student’s possessions. If damage occurs and your child or their guest is determined to be liable, a tenant’s insurance policy will cover a claim.
Your away student may be covered under your house insurance policy, but it’s necessary to speak with your insurance professional to understand the details and potential limitations.

If we can help you with your away student’s insurance needs, please reach out to us at: 1-800-679-2640 or email: